The 15th October 1935, saw the first tank regiment of the German Wehrmacht. In each tank department the middle sized tanks presented the main battle force. With 3300 tan ks and 250 assault guns began in June 1941, the Eastern Campaign. As of August 1942 (Tiger) and, from January 1943 (Panther) these new heavy tanks reinforced the troops. In the summer of 1943, during the greatest tank battle of all times at Kursk, they were first deployed in large quantities in combat operations.