From the Emperor's Gleet to the Navy - With the end of the First World War in 1918 and the scuttling of the German Fleet in Scapaflow in 1919 the Emperor's Fleet ceased to exist. Following the Treaty of Versailles an Imperial Fleet came into being, which was drastically limited in its potential. Building on the technical achievements of the German marine engineers, there follows some internationally acclaimed constructions with the building of the so-called 'pocket battleships' - the armour plated ships of the Deutschland class. The lightweight cruises 'Emden', 'Nurnberg' and 'Leipzig' along with the K-class cruisers 'Koln' and 'Konigsberg' were also completed at this time. Most of the ships from the Imperial fleet were taken over later into the Navy and some of them remained in commission until the end of the Second World War.