Between 1941 and 1945, the little fortress town of Theresienstadt in Czechoslovakia was the transit camp to the death camps in the East for thousands of Czech, German, Austrian and Dutch Jews. The Jews deported there from 1941 onwards were led to believe it was an 'end camp' from where they would not be deported further; the thousands of old and prominent Jews from Germany. Austria and Holland deported there from 1942 onwards were promised a comfortable and peaceful life in the 'Reich home for the aged' and hoodwinked into signing over to the S.S. their properties and assets. In reality, they also would be sent off to the death camps in the east. From 1943, the Nazis developed Theresienstadt into a 'show camp' with which they could deceive the outside world as to what was really happening to the Jews of Europe. A large scale 'beautification' programme gave the camp a nice looking outer facade. In June 1944, a Danish and International Red Cross delegation allowed itself to be completely deceived when they inspected this fraudulent 'Jewish Settlement'.