A.J. Cronin's famous characters are lovingly recreated in this major film series. Starring David Rintoul, Annette Crosbie, Jason Flemyng and Ian Bannen.
1. The Return It's 1946 and the dawn of a post-war period of hope and expectation.However, the reality of John Finlay's "homecoming" is harshly different. The medical practice is run-down, the small town politics continue and his fiancee is curiously absent.
2. Working Together Although Dr Cameron is free to retire there's an atmosphere of tension about his departure from Arden House. Working as a GP again Dr Finlay finds that health care for the poor hasn't improved leading in one case to tragic consequences.
3. Winning the Peace What exactly is Sergeant Forbes vendetta against the Hendersons at Dawes Farm? The consequences draw Dr Finlay and Dr Cameron into a bitter conflict and more than they bargained for.
4. A Bitter Pill When Dr Neil visits Mary Thomson on a housecall he becomes concerned as to why previous medical tests have failed to . reveal her apparent illness. He mistakenly becomes more interested in the treatment not aware that the patient's homelife might be at the root of the problem. Meanwhile a smallpox scare causes an emergency vaccination programme to be hastily arranged.
5. Forbidden Fruit Dr Cameron's work at the German POW camp brings him into political conflict with one of the prisoners. Janet becomes concerned for Dr Finlay's career at his apparent fondness toward Anne Stewart. Not only is she married but a patient of the practice.
6. The Good Doctor Much to Dr Neil's surprise a famous singing star turns up unexpectedly at the Arden House surgery for a repeat prescription. But why? A mystery unfolds as to the exact nature of her illness. Dr Finlay is still hurt following the end of his "affair" and is on the brink of considering a new life elsewhere.