Jill Gascoine stars as tough, no-nonsense female cop Maggie Forbes. Made at a time when there were very few ranking female officers in the police force, 'The Gentle Touch' not only showed police procedure within a Metropolitan Police CID unit but also allowed insight into how a woman might cope with such a role in what was very much a man's world. The first police series to show a woman at Detective Inspector level, The Gentle Touch ran for five years and co-starred William Marlowe as Maggie's jaded, world-weary boss and Derek Thompson (Casualty) as D.S.Jimmy Fenton. Maggie Forbes' joy at being promoted to Detective Inspector is smashed to pieces when her Police Constable husband is shot dead by criminals. Ignoring direct orders to avoid any involvement in the case, she is determined to bring her husband's murderers to justice...
1. Killers Detective Inspector Maggie Forbes and her husband, RC. Ray Forbes, reach a crossroads in their lives.
2. Recoil Detective Inspector Maggie Forbes cannot bear the waiting, and breaches discipline to try and help find her husband's murderer.
3. Help Maggie tries to help her friend Susan and her daughter, but doesn't realise that her own son has started to drink heavily.
4. Shock When a woman is found dead in a love nest and Maggie Forbes is assigned to the case, several people are in for a shock.
5. Blade D.I. Maggie Forbes' efforts to solve a murder are not made any easier by conflict with one of her colleagues.
6. Rogue Maggie meets a charmer and is torn between her attraction to him and her position as a Detective Inspector.
7. Melody Maggie and her team investigate the mysterious murder of a glamorous call girl called Melody.