- General info
Struggling with a tragic past, Paul Thompson (Joseph Fiennes) decides to fulfill a lifelong dream and swim the length of the Hudson River. Joined by travel companion Jeff (Justin Kirk) and Liz (Elizabeth Reaser), Paul embarks on an emotional journey that will test the limits of friendship and explore the right to decide one's own fate.
- Joseph Fiennes, Samantha Sherman, Pell James, Justin Kirk, Elizabeth Reaser, Amy Hargreaves, Martin Shakar, Avery Glymph, Chad Brigockas, Tom O'Rourke, John Rue, Douglas Odell, Seth Kanor, Mary-Tyler Moore, Constance Barron
- Peter Callahan
- Mary Jane Skalski, Joshua Zeman
- Peter Callahan
- Release Date:
- Run Time:
- 94 minutes
- English, French, Italian, Spanish
- Arabic, Danish, Dutch, English, English Hard of Hearing, Finnish, French, Hindi, Italian, Norwegian, Spanish, Swedish
- DVD Regions:
- Region 2
- Aspect Ratio:
- Widescreen 1.78:1 / 16:9
Rent other films like Against the Current
- Against the Current review by Swambi
The photography down the Hudson River is great. Slow scenes accompanied by gentle acoustic music almost make you feel as if you are on the entire 150 mile trip, broken up with some quirky shore stops. There is some unpleasantly crude language between Paul & Geoff. [*Beware some spoilers follow*] It gradually becomes clear that Paul is haunted by the past death of his wife and wants to commit suicide at the end of his swim. Although romance rapidly blossoms with Liz who accompanies them on the adventure but he is still determined to die. The film finishes with a depressing scene of him swimming out to sea alone.
0 out of 0 members found this review helpful.
Unlimited films sent to your door, starting at £9.99 a month.