- General info
4th Century A.D. Egypt under the Roman Empire... Violent religious upheaval in the streets of Alexandria spills over into the City's famous Library. Trapped inside its walls, the brilliant astronomer Hypatia and her disciples fight to save the wisdom of the Ancient World... Among them, the two men competing for her heart: the witty, privileged Orestes and Davus, Hypatia's young slave, who is torn between his secret love for her and the freedom he knows can be his if he chooses to join the unstoppable surge of the Christians.
- Rachel Weisz, Max Minghella, Oscar Isaac, Ashraf Barhom, Michael Lonsdale, Rupert Evans, Homayoun Ershadi, Sami Samir, Richard Durden, Omar Mostafa, Manuel Cauchi, Oshri Cohen, Charles Thake, Harry Borg, Yousef 'Joe' Sweid, Clint Dyer, Sam Cox, George Harris, Sylvester Morand, Paul Barnes
- Alejandro Amenábar
- Álvaro Augustín, Fernando Bovaira
- Alejandro Amenábar, Mateo Gil
- Action & Adventure, Drama, Romance
- Release Date:
- Run Time:
- 122 minutes
- English, English Hard of Hearing
- DVD Regions:
- Region 2
- Aspect Ratio:
- Widescreen 2.35:1
Rent other films like Agora
Found in these customers lists
- Agora review by CP Customer
I loved this film: a beautifully-crafted story based on fact and set in an Alexandria that was convincingly reconstructed. I was very impressed how the script writers not only included Hypatia's intellectual life but also made it work metaphorically. The closing scene of the ellipse in the roof was brilliant. As well as that we had a story of the unrequited love of Orestes, and the muddied love of Davus, a wonderfully complex character, the slave who ultimately sets his mistress free. And then there was the story of 4th century Christianity and the terrible truth of at least two 'saints' of the early church. Gripping, rewarding, satisfying. I shall be watching this again and again.
1 out of 1 members found this review helpful.
Unlimited films sent to your door, starting at £9.99 a month.