- General info
1960: Rachel (Virginie Efira) is working as a secretary when she begins a passionate but stormy affair with the callous Philippe (Niels Schneider). The liaison results in the birth of a daughter, who Philippe refuses to acknowledge. Whilst Rachel's love for her daughter is unconditional, Philippe's presence in their daughter's life has dangerous consequences that endure, to the present day. A heartbreaking story of a toxic love affair across the decades, Catherine Corsini's beautiful 'An Impossible Love' is as emotionally raw as it is elegantly shot.
- Virginie Efira, Niels Schneider, Jehnny Beth, Estelle Lescure, Coralie Russier, Iliana Zabeth, Catherine Morlot, Ambre Hasaj, Sasha Alessandri-Torrès Garcia, Pierre Salvadori, Gaël Kamilindi, Simon Bakhouche, Didier Sandre, Simon Poulain, Siegrid Alnoy, Lionel Robert, Mounia Raoui, Arthur Igual, Jean-Christophe Brétignière, Régis Romele
- Catherine Corsini
- Elisabeth Perez
- Christine Angot, Catherine Corsini, Laurette Polmanss
- Un Amour Impossible
- Curzon / Artificial Eye
- Drama, Romance
- France, Drama, Romance
- Release Date:
- Run Time:
- 129 minutes
- DVD Regions:
- Region 2
- Aspect Ratio:
- Widescreen 2.35:1
- Interview with Director Catherine Corsini
Rent other films like An Impossible Love
Found in these customers lists
- An Impossible Love review by JD
A superb French movie.
Bitter sweet love story that explores a series of complex family relationships.
The lead actress, Virginie Efira is wonderful and her ageing during the movie appears very realistic.
I could have done without the plot “ explanation” given by the daughter at the end, as I think OST movie goers are intelligent enough to let their own imagination work out what had happened.
6 out of 6 members found this review helpful.
- An Impossible Love review by KB
Instantly forgettable & not engrossing . One of the very few French films that i didn't enjoy. It just meanders along without that much happening & not long after i am struggling to remember what it was actually about.
0 out of 1 members found this review helpful.
- An Impossible Love review by jM
Very sensitive film about the impact of an abusive relationship in her youth on a young single mother and subsequently on her daughter. The acting was convincing, that of the mother, as she progressed to her later years, particularly so. Virginie Efira's understated reaction to all the painful incidents to which she was exposed conveyed the depth of her personal pain more effectively than an excess of emotion.
0 out of 0 members found this review helpful.
Unlimited films sent to your door, starting at £9.99 a month.