Between 1968 and 1977, the BBC broadcast 84 television episodes of 'Dad's Army'. Across nine seasons and seven Christmas specials, the programme continues to be one of the most beloved of all British sitcoms. However, not every episode of 'Dad's Army' still survives in its original format. Five episodes were never formally archived by the BBC and are today presumed lost. No footage is known to exist from any of these episodes. They are collectively some of the most sought-after of all lost television programmes. Happily, audio-only recordings have survived of all five of these lost classics. These audio recordings (starring Arthur Lowe, John Le Mesurier and Clive Dunn) have been painstakingly reassembled and restored and are now used as the basis for a series of new animated episodes of 'Dad's Army' - featuring all new hand-drawn black and white animation, synced up to the words of the original actors. These new animated episodes give audiences a chance to enjoy five original episodes of this much-loved comedy classic for the first time in over fifty-years.
1. Poles Apart (Christmas Special) 2023 Animation Captain Mainwaring calls the platoon together to parade on Christmas Night.
Based on an episode originally broadcast on BBC 1 on 25th December, 1968.
2. The Loneliness of the Long Distance Walker - 2023 Animation When Private Walker's call-up threatens the platoon's black market supplies, Captain Mainwaring and his men scheme to avert this disaster.
Based on an episode originally broadcast on BBC 1 on 15th March, 1969.
3. A Stripe for Frazer - 2015 Animation Captain Mainwaring's promotion of Private Frazer also promotes a state of none-too-friendly rivalry with Corporal Jones.
Based on an episode originally broadcast on BBC 1 on 29th March, 1969.
4. Under Fire - 2023 Animation When German high explosives rain down on Walmington-on-Sea, Captain Mainwaring and his men demonstrate their great resourcefulness and unearth a spy in their midst.
Based on an episode originally broadcast on BBC 1 on 5th April, 1969.
5. The Cornish Floral Dance (Christmas Special) 2023 Animation Captain Mainwaring and Warden Hodges join forces to organise a special choral performance for the Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry.
Based on an episode originally broadcast on BBC 1 on 25th December, 1970.
- Dad's Army: The Missing Episodes review by SB
Especially if you are a follower of the series. Scrips and animation have been used to recreate some lost short episodes. Once you get used to the animated figures, you almost forget the different format - although backgrounds etc are necessarily sketchy.
0 out of 0 members found this review helpful.
Unlimited films sent to your door, starting at £15.99 a month.