- General info
Charting the turbulent relationship between a train-driver and a married woman as they plot to kill her husband, Renoir's adaptation of Emile Zola's classic novel is often cited by critics as one of the director's greatest films. Made at the height of Renoir's 1930s poetic realism period, the film also has shades of film-noir with its sexually charged story and self-destructive, hard-boiled anti-hero. Featuring a truly unforgettable performance by Jean Gabin as Lantier, the tormented train-driver, 'La Bete Humaine' was one of Renoir's biggest successes and is just as compelling today as when it was first released.
- Jean Gabin, Julien Carette, Simone Simon, Fernand Ledoux, Blanchette Brunoy, Gérard Landry, Jenny Hélia, Colette Régis, Claire Gérard, Charlotte Clasis, Jacques Berlioz, Tony Corteggiani, André Tavernier, Marcel Pérès, Jean Renoir, Jacques Roussel, Jacques Beauvais, Jacques Becker, Jacques B. Brunius, Marguerite de Morlaye
- Jean Renoir
- Raymond Hakim, Robert Hakim
- Émile Zola, Jean Renoir
- Judas Was a Woman / The Human Beast
- Classics, Drama, Thrillers
- France, Classics, Drama, Thrillers
- Release Date:
- Run Time:
- 96 minutes
- French LPCM Mono
- DVD Regions:
- Region 2
- Aspect Ratio:
- Widescreen 1.66:1
- B & W
Rent other films like La Bete Humaine
Found in these customers lists
La Bete Humaine
- La Bete Humaine review by Mel
Superbly tense, wonderful footage of steam trains, and very atmospheric. We think Hitchcock must have admired this classic film because there are parallels in his work.
Thank you Cinema Paradiso for sourcing this one.
Mel and Alice
0 out of 0 members found this review helpful.
Unlimited films sent to your door, starting at £9.99 a month.